Monday, February 18, 2013

Hail Britannia! Touring London in Three Days: Friday the First

This weekend, my second (Canadian) cousin Kaitlyn came to London and stayed with me. Her friend Alison was also in town, staying at a hostel down the street from my apartment. So the three of us traipsed all over this city, doing touristy things.

Friday, Kaitlyn met me at work, and I popped off a bit early to take her back to Hammersmith. But first, we had to make a stop to Forbidden Planet, the ultimate shopping experience in all geekdom. Despite an address and Google Maps in my pocket, it was still a bit of an adventure finding the store from Leicester Square. It was a bit Monty Python-esque as we wandered here and there and everywhere, practicing our silly walks. It looked a bit reminiscent of this:


Anyway, we successfully found the geek shop in question, where I got a couple Doctor Who t-shirts for Jesse and Spodi. I was looking about, enjoying the various cult references of shows and movies I watch, thinking I should buy something for myself but unsure as to what. But then I found it! As I was looking at the ninja-bread cookie cutters and Star Wars ice trays, I noticed the Holy Grail of Sarah's Geek-o-meter. I found letterpress cookie cutters. For the printmaker in me. And the baker in me. TYPOGRAPHY FOR MY BAKED GOODS, YOU GUYS. Anyway, with my quest successfully completed, we left Leicester Square and headed home.

That evening, we met up with Alison, and had dinner in my favorite pub in Hammersmith. Then we wandered down King Street in search of a cinema, where we watched a Polish movie with subtitles about the start of WWII. So actually, we barely did any touristy stuff on Friday, but that's okay. The weekend was just beginning...stay tuned for Saturday and Sunday posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment